Summer is still in full swing, but doesn’t it feel like we’re getting whiffs of fall here and there? Maybe it’s the back to school sales, or the “clearance” signs popping up on beach towels and umbrellas. Whatever the reason, there’s definitely signs that fall is just around the corner. And to give you a preview of what’s to come, we’re giving you a taste of autumn with a new favorite recipe: Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Icing Spice Bread, by Faith Gorsky of AnEdibleMosaic.com.
We stumbled across this amazing recipe the way we usually do, by salivating over delicious-looking pictures on Pinterest and the web. The first thing that immediately called out to us was the perfect-looking cream cheese icing at the top of the loaf of the beautifully shaped mini loaf. It just looked so, so, perfect, we had to absolutely try it out and share it with you.
The ingredients of this Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Icing Spice Bread are all evocative of fall, from the spicy aromas of the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves, to the warm comfort of vanilla, to the muted orange reminiscent of fallen leaves. And, one might even fantasize that the layer of white cream cheese icing is a harbinger of the snows of winter? This is definitely a seasonal recipe, ideal to practice now and perfect for autumn afternoons with a warm cup of tea or coffee.
So while we’re fully enjoying the last stretch of summer, we’re also enjoying the taste of what’s to come, and preparing for a new, exciting culinary season! Thank you, Faith, for sharing your wonderful recipe with us! Let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments.
About Our Feature Recipe
Faith Gorsky is a food blogger who calls upstate New York home, although she has travelled extensively and declares Damascus, Syria, her favorite city. Her book, An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair, is a smorgasbord of flavorful exotic middle eastern recipes, all imparted with a young, modern point of view. You can find all of her fabulous recipes on her blog – www.anediblemosaic.com
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- Butter, to grease the pans
- Use a handheld electric mixer to beat together all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat oven to 350F; lightly grease 3 mini loaf pans with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and eggs until light and fluffy, then stir in the pumpkin, canola oil, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet, being careful not to over-mix. Divide the pumpkin batter between the 3 loaf pans, then pour the cheese batter on top.
- Bake until golden around the edges, about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean or with just a couple crumbs. Cool 10 minutes in the pans, then remove from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Interested in sharing your recipes with us? Just send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org